Only a few months after the massive Blender 2.80 release, the Blender foundation have just released Blender 2.81. Blender is an open source 3D application that is gaining a ton of traction in both film and games media. The 2.81 release brings several new features including several quality of life improvements such as outliner and file dialog modernization as well as excellent new features like vastly improved sculpting and grease pencil brushes.
Highlight features of interest for game developers in this release include:
- Massively improve sculpting with new brushes, masking support, better usability and more
- Poly Build tool for rapid polygon creation and editing, excellent for retopology
- Quadriflow and Voxel remeshing
- Improved and more powerful mirroring support
- UI improvements including:
- Outliner selection improvements, easy to select, multiselect and deselect objects
- Modern file browser that opens in a floating dialog window
- Powerful regex powered rename feature (F2 key)
- Grease pencil improvements including several new brushes
- Denoising improvements
- NVIDIA RTX support for realtime raytracing in Cycles
- and much, much more.
You can learn more about the release in the Blender 2.81 release notes available here. Additionally CGCookie have put together a nice introduction to new features in this article. Blender 2.81 is available for download here.
If you want to see Blender 2.81 in action, including the new Poly Build, sculpting tools, file dialog, outliner and more be sure to check out the video below.
Art GameDev News