Today Ludei released a new version of their game focused HTML5 app wrapper Cocoon, now called Cocoon.io and based on Cordova. I was beginning to think Cocoon was no more, so it is nice to see a new release.
From the announcement:
Cocoon.io has been designed from the ground up to try to include many of the cool features users have been demanding for quite some time. Let’s review the main advantages and differences of Cocoon.io:
- The main structural change is that Cocoon.io is completely based on Cordova. When Ludei started working on HTML5, Cordova wasn’t as widespread as it is today. It also was completely tied only to the system webview. Cocoon has always defined itself to try to overcome some of the original Cordova limitations but it was not built on top of it. Cordova is the de facto standard in the industry to setup HTML5 to native project compilations and we have decided to embrace it and contribute to the community with our approach in Cocoon.io. This new Cocoon mixes all the benefits that have made Cocoon great plus all the advantages of Cordova.
- Select the best webview runtime for your needs: There are different needs when it comes to HTML5 games and apps, and the new Cocoon is designed to allow you to easily select between the best webview runtimes depending on your needs. We still provide our state of the art runtime called Canvas+ specifically built and well suited for games based on 2D and WebGL canvas. We also have our full DOM support using WebView+, an advanced webview based onChrome for Android and Safari for iOS. Cocoon.io even allows to select the regular systemWebView for those developers who still want to use it.
- Redesigned UI/UX to simplify and improve the user experience. We really hope you like it. The user feedback has been very positive so far and we will continue to improve it in the future.
- Easy Cordova plugin setup as Cordova has tons of plugins to select from. Cocoon’s new search engine plus easy to use UI will certainly help you navigate through this sometime tedious process. Of course, you can add your own plugins to your projects!
- Github integration to tell Cocoon.io to compile your projects directly from the content of a git repository. A very convenient way to ease the process of developing, committing/pushing and compiling your apps.
- Let Cocoon.io help you with the signing of your final native apps. Signing your final projects both on iOS and Android can be a bit tedious. If your provide your signing keys, Cocoon.io will be able to compile a final signed app ready to be uploaded to the stores.
- Login with different types of accounts like Google or Facebook accounts for your convenience. Of course, you can still use your current Cocoon user and password or even create a new account.
- Web2App: We are trying to redefine the ease of use to create native hybrid apps based on responsive websites. We will provide great plugins to create native apps based on a website in order to create a compelling native app with all the advantages of mobile applications regarding performance and user experience. Directly from your responsive website URL!