Last week I announced the Xamarin port of Urho3D to .NET and in the resulting /r/gamedev conversation it was discovered that the license it was released under required you to use Xamarin products. This obviously caused a great deal of annoyance within the community. Fortunately today Miguel de Icaza CTO at Xamarin announced that the license was a mistake at that it was being changed.
From the /r/gamedev conversation:
Hello lovers of Urho and .NET,
I just found out about this thread. It was not really our intention to annoy anyone, I used the license that was published as a blend of expedience and flexibility. It would have allowed me to decide when and where to license the code.
We have now released the source to our Urho bindings and put them under the MIT license:
The NuGet package still has the old license purely because I do not want to break all the samples (NuGet hardcodes a reference to the version in project, we still need to figure out a good strategy to release NuGet packages). But you can regenerate your own from the sources now.
Thanks to everyone that participated in this thread and voiced their opinion.
I can not wait to see what people do with this.
This is certainly a positive development and makes UrhoSharp useful to a much larger audience of developers.