Following hot on the heels of our LMMS overview we continue our journey into the world of Digital Audio Workstations with the highly recommended Reaper.
Key Reaper features:
- Efficient, fast to load, and tightly coded. Can be installed and run from a portable or network drive.
- Powerful audio and MIDI routing with multichannel support throughout.
- 64-bit internal audio processing. Import, record to, and render to many media formats, at almost any bit depth and sample rate.
- Thorough MIDI hardware and software support.
- Support for thousands of third-party plug-in effects and virtual instruments, including VST, VST3, AU, DX, and JS.
- Hundreds of studio-quality effects for processing audio and MIDI, and built-in tools for creating new effects.
- Automation, modulation, grouping, VCA, surround, macros, OSC, scripting, control surfaces, custom skins and layouts.
- A whole lot more.
Reaper is not free software, but has a general 2 month non-expiring fully functional trial for Windows, Linux and OS/X. Unlike LMMS, Reaper doesn’t come out of the box loaded with instruments (which explains the 20mb download size!). In the video below, the VSTs demonstrated are from the Humble Music Producer Bundle expiring April 15th.