The free NeoAxis game engine, previously covered in-depth in this hands-on video, have just released NeoAxis 2019.4. The 2019.4 release brings an impressive number of new features to the engine including the beginnings of a new 2D game engine, a game framework for handling common game development tasks, improvements to the 3D Builder tools and more.
Details from the 2019.4 change log:
- Game framework. Managing characters, various types of cameras, a set of more specialized game objects. The ability to configure game mode, camera type in the editor. First person camera, third person camera, free camera are supported.
- 2D game engine. 2D physics, sprites, tools, demo scenes. 2D game engine is implemented as extension for NeoAxis.
- Character component. The set of classes and tools for creation characters.
- Terrain paint layers.
- Primitives have been added: Arch, Door, Pipe, Prism, Stairs, Torus.
- Builder 3D has been improved.
- Optimization: GPU instancing for transparent objects.
- NeoAxis Baking: The ability to disable compression of archive. That makes loading baked resources faster.
- The ability to set color multiplier for decals in the scene.
- Add Collision: Convex mode has been added.
- Surface Area has been added. The object represents an area that filled by surface. An object is used to automatically fill with a large number of objects in a given area.
- Bug fix: Invalid management of Color property of meshes and billboards with enabled GPU instancing.
You can learn more about the future of the NeoAxis engine by checking the roadmap available here, and learn more about the 2019.4 release in their more in-depth blog post or by watching the video below.