GDevelop 5 beta 82 was just released. GDevelop is a completely open source game engine with a very beginner friendly visual programming language and a complete set of tools for creating 2D games. A new tool addition this release is integration of a Yarn dialog editor enabling your game to support complex and branching dialogs.
Details on new features from the release notes:
The Yarn Dialogue editor is now embedded in GDevelop (thanks @blurymind!). Yarn is a powerful editor allowing to create advanced and dynamic dialogues with multiple choices.
- When choosing a dialogue to load using the Dialogue Tree actions, you can edit or create a json file containing a dialogue in Yarn format.
- Read the help page about dialogue trees to learn more about how to use them.
- See the example "Dialogue Tree with Yarn" to see how to use dialogue actions. You can also try the example online.
Improved Shape Painter object with new shapes and advanced features (thanks @Bouh!).
- Add ellipse, rounded rectangle and star to Shape Painter
- Add support for other advanced shapes (arc, bezier curves), and shapes composed of multiple shapes.
Various new smaller features:
- Add condition to check for WebGL support (thanks @Wend1go!)
- Add "Scene just resumed" condition (thanks @Wend1go!)
- Add menu item to extract events into a new group (thanks @Bouh!)
Be sure to check out the complete release notes for a full list of improvements and changes in this release. If you are interested in learning more about GDevelop be sure to check out our hands-on video below.