Diligent Graphics just released Diligent Engine 2.4b. Diligent Engine is a cross platform open source rendering framework that abstracts away the details of the underlying OpenGL, Direct3D 11/12 and Vulkan renderers. The 2.4b release brings the following major new features:
- Added cmake options to disable specific back-ends and glslang
- Improved engine support of GLES3.0 devices
- Added new module – DiligentFX, a high-level rendering framework
- Reworked light scattering post-processing effect to be ready-to-use component
Diligent Engine is available on GitHub under the Apache 2 open source license. In terms of why you would choose Diligent Engine over other cross platform graphics libraries, here the advantages the framework offers:
- Better abstractions (such as one monolithic pipeline state object vs numerous fine-grain states) that map directly to next-generation APIs and reduce run-time overhead
- Explicit control of resource state transitions.
- Efficient shader resource binding model that takes advantage of descriptor tables in Direct3D12 and descriptor sets in Vulkan.
- Multithreaded command list recording.
- HLSL (VS, PS, GS, DS, HS, CS) as common shading language on all platforms and back-ends.
- Vulkan back-end.
To learn more about Diligent Engine, in addition to getting started with Diligent Engine, watch the video below. To learn about other cross platform rendering frameworks, check here.