In the February release of free Unreal content, two assets stood out in particular. One was the CCG Toolkit, a card game creation kit covered here, as well as the Platformer Kit 2D. Both are interesting projects because they illustrate how to create non-traditional style games in Unreal Engine. The Platformer Kit is described as:
The 2D Platforming Kit is the ultimate tool for creating action platforming titles! Includes a fully customizable player character complete with 21 animation states and editable parameters for every individual action. Features multiple heavily commented blueprints that allow for easy customization .
With the following features:
- Full On-screen touch controls
- Customizable movement speed,acceleration and more.
- Multi/Wall Jump
- Wall Slide
- Melee Attack and Ranged Attack
- Timed Block
- Multiple enemy varieties
- XP and level-up
- Collect and swap weapons
- Timed Power-ups Item Drop System
- Moving Platforms
- Save/Load Game
- Enemy loot Drops
- Floating Combat Text for player & enemies Health & Damage System
- Dynamic Health HUD for the player & enemies
- Fully Functional damage system
- Colour tinting, temporary invulnerability and knock-back effects after taking damage
- Audio SFX
- Menu System
The content is only free until the end of February 2019, so be sure to “buy” it now. The kit is available here on the Unreal Engine marketplace. Once it is “purchased” it is yours forever. We go hands on with the Platformer kit in the video below.