King have just released an updated version of their Defold Engine’s Editor, a prelease 2.0 version. If you’ve never used Defold, we have a comprehensive tutorial series available here. Don’t worry, the entire series is still valid even if things look a bit different. Actually that’s a big part of this release, Editor 1 and 2 are completely compatible with each other. Editor 2 is a rewrite for performance, usability and stability that aims to replicate Editor 1’s functionality.
Here are the FAQ on the 2.0 release:
Anything I need to know before I start?
Here are some things that are good to know:
- Editor 2 saves all files at once. This will create a lot of diffs, because of new fields appearing in the files. This is not a compatibility issue, and will furthermore only happen the first time you save your project.
- While we have no known data loss issues, you might want to check your diffs before pushing to production—especially for business-critical projects.
- The app extracts some executables from a jar (e.g. the game engine executable) and expects to be able to run them. Windows Defender thinks they are Trojans and might want to quarantine, but we promise they are safe.
- The "desktop actions" (e.g. Help ▸ Report Issue, which invokes a browser) has been known to hang on some distros. This is obviously a bug, please report using Github directly if this happens to you.
- Some keyboard shortcuts are either missing or temporary. Some of the shortcuts will probably change between Editor 1 and 2 for a nicer workflow and to better adhere to what users expect coming from other programs.
The complete list of registered bugs can be found on Github.
There are also a few early gotchas to be aware of as well, this is an early release after all.
What features are missing in Editor 2?
Features that are currently missing in Editor 2, but are high priority:
- Game projects can’t be bundled—this has to be done in Editor 1.
- Ability to open text files in external editor by default.
- Texture profiles.
- 3D Animation Set editing.
You can download the new editor here.