Wow, I gotta say this announcement pretty much broadsided me. I wrote Moai off for dead, which was a huge shame, as I did a tutorial series on the subject, and frankly found MOAI to be some of the cleanest C++ code I had ever read. So to hear of a new release certainly makes me happy.
So then, what’s new?
Feature merge from Zipline:
- Massive rework of the garbage collection system to simplify object tracking
- Reworking of the AKU Modules API
- New SDL host to complement the GLUT host
- A flag to MOAIAction to disable auto-stop on no children
A New Build System:
- The CMake build system that was in place for the linux and blackberry hosts was extened to include all hosts
- Luajit support was added to all platforms (via cmake scripts)
- create-project-* scripts were created that allows you to generate vs2008->vs2013 and xcode project files.
- Changes to a project can be recorded once in the relevant cmake script and all platforms should work instead of maintaining 6+ build configs
- Plugin support was added for installing modules which are outside the moai sdk (other repos) [More]
- Custom host support was added for compiling a host outside of the repo [More]
- Support for compiling with Ming-w64 for a completely open source experience on Windows (no more vcruntime to distribute)
- Vector Pathfinding (MOAIVecPathGraph)
- Box2D Closest Raycast Exposure
- Twitter support in android
- MOAIShader was enhanced with the 4x4 matrix and given access to UNIFORM_WORLD_VIEW
- A faster and smoother android host with working keyboard support.
- MOAISafariIOS is now MOAIBrowserIOS and MOAIBrowserAndroid added
- Visibility can now be inherited!
- Google Play Services
- Updated Tapjoy and Vungle
- MOAISim showCursor and hideCursor support
- Documentation improvements
- Chartboost for IOS and android
- You can now EnqueueJoystickEvent from the host.
- New HTML/JS host based on emscripten
- Android logging support repaired
- VFS works correctly on all platforms
- A heap of lua stack overflows
- Fixes to JSON parser and encoder
- Textbox string bounds calculations fixed
- PVR support working now
Certainly some nice new features in there, and hopefully this new release will breath renewed life into this project that frankly always deserved a better fate.
You can access the MOAI source code here.
You can read a more complete release notes here.