I know this is a release that many people have been waiting for, the Unity version with out of the box support for 2D.
So, what’s in this release:
- 2D, including tools for making sprites, scene population, physics and animation. Pro version includes automatic texture atlas generation and alpha cut outs.
- Mecanim improvements. New keyframe based dopesheet, drive blend shapes, and perhaps most import, full scriptability of the animation system.
- MonoDevelop 4.0.1 support. MonoDevelop 4 is loads better, so this is nice.
- iOS new features include Game Controller support, OpenGL ES3
- Windows 8 support for the trial api for try before buy enabling your game
- Support for Plastic SCM version control software
- Pro Only feature – nav mesh can now be altered at runtime
- A lot of smaller improvements
You can see the new 2D workflow in the video below:
You can download Unity 4.3 right here for free.