Subscribe to GameFromScratch on YouTube Support GameFromScratch on Patreon Join the GFS Discord Server!
9. May 2012

 

This post is waaayyyyyy off the topic of game development but it’s one of those things I have been fighting with for months so I figured I’d share the solution in case any of you are having the same issue.

 

Basically with one of my laptops I would often see my computer crawl to a screeching halt, to the point of nearly uselessness.  Generally the culprit would be MsMpEng.exe chewing away at my CPU, generally maxing out a core completely.  On occasion it would be Thunderbird ( my email client ) maxing out a core, but frankly this was pretty typical Thunderbird behavior( when indexing or downloading mail it used a lot of CPU ), so I would generally ignore it an expect it to go away.  Normally I would simply kill off the MsMpEng task as well as the msseces.exe ( which would simply restart MsMpEng if not killed ) and the problem would go away.  Not ideal killing off my anti-virus, but it’s one of those “I’ll look into it later” things.

 

Of course, later always became later until this morning when I simply got too fed up with it.  I was about half an inch away from just uninstalling Microsoft Security Essentials and going with a different anti-virus app.  This morning, both Thunderbird AND MsMpEng were taking turns maxing out my cores, so I finally put one and one together…  The fix is remarkably easy, in Microsoft Security Essentials, go to the Settings tab, select Exclude processes and add the Thunderbird.exe process like such:

 

 

image

 

 

Problem… finally… solved.

 

Alright, now that my computer is no longer acting like a 386 with the turbo button disabled, back to making games!

Totally Off Topic


blog comments powered by Disqus

AppGameKit Studio

See More Tutorials on DevGa.me!

Month List