Cocos Creator, the free Cocos2D-x powered cross platform game engine, just released version 2.3. The 2.3 release adds more 3D functionality to the previously 2D game engine including 3D physics and particle systems, as well as other improvements such as DragonBones and Spine mount point support, an upgrade to the material system and more. Cocos Creator is available as a free download for both Mac and Windows.
Details from the Cocos Release Notes:
After a long period of development and preparation, and after a memorable Spring Festival, Cocos Creator v2.3 is officially released. v2.3 is a very important version that officially integrates support for 3D physics, collisions, and 3D particles, and is capable of developing more types of 3D games! At the same time, the material system has been upgraded from the experimental version to the official version, which can greatly improve the expressiveness of a game. It is recommended that all developers upgrade! Please perform the necessary technical evaluation and backups before upgrading.
Major new features include:
- Qutoutiao (QTT) mini game support
- 3D physics support(rigid body, Box/Sphere collision components, trigger and collision events, physical materials, ray detection, etc)
- 3D light weight collision system “Builtin”
- 3D Particle Systems
- Material System upgrade
- Spine & DragonBones mount node support
- Spine binary format support
- Build Scripts Only option
- 3D viewport options (Wireframe, Normal)
- Plus several other fixes and improvements
If you are interested in learning Cocos Creator, check out our complete tutorial series available here or our hands-on video available here. To learn more about the 2.3 release check out the video below.