Today at GDC, Unity have announced that the popular plugin Text Mesh is now available for free in the asset store, and soon will be directly integrated into Unity. TextMesh is an upgrade over Unity’s built in text component with enhanced layout and markup options, improved formatting and more.
Text Mesh’s description from the Asset Store:
TextMesh Pro is the ultimate text solution for Unity. It's the perfect replacement for Unity's UI Text & Text Mesh.
Powerful and easy to use, TextMesh Pro uses Advanced Text Rendering techniques along with a set of custom shaders; delivering substantial visual quality improvements while giving users incredible flexibility when it comes to text styling and texturing.
TextMesh Pro provides Improved Control over text formatting and layout with features like character, word, line and paragraph spacing, kerning, justified text, Links, over 30 Rich Text Tags available, support for Multi Font & Sprites, Custom Styles and more.
Great performance. Since the geometry created by TextMesh Pro uses two triangles per character just like Unity's text components, this improved visual quality and flexibility comes at no additional performance cost.
Optimized for Desktop & Mobile devices, TextMesh Pro brings State-Of-The-Art text rendering to Unity.
* Easy to use & Intuitive UI
* Supports Bitmap & SDF font Assets
* Built-in Font Asset Creation tool.
* TrueType & OpenType support.
* Scripting Interface & dynamic control of text objects
* Improved performance over Unity's Text Mesh
* No Runtime Allocations
Formatting & Styling Options
* Dynamic font sizing
* Material Presets
* Over 30 Rich Text Tags available including support for superscript, subscript, underline, strikethrough, indent, align, monospacing, line height, and many more.
* UTF16 & UTF32 support.
* Text Anchoring - The usual 9 positions
* Text Alignment - Left, Center, Right and Justified
* Character, Line & Paragraph spacing control
* Automatic Word-Wrapping
* Line Breaking support for CJK
* Soft & Hard Hyphenation