Amazon just released Lumberyard 1.4 Beta. Lumberyard is Amazon’s fork of the CryEngine game engine, which is free to use, as long as you use Amazon’s cloud services (or host your own) for your game server. I did a Hands On With Lumberyard video shortly after it was released if you want more details on Lumberyard.
The Lumberyard 1.4 Beta release focuses on making multiplayer games more cost effective and to improve team workflow when developing with the engine. All told there were over 230 improvements or fixes in this release, including:
- News messages now shown in Lumberyard editor
- New gem samples for environment special effects (rain, clouds, etc )
- New Decal sample
- New API enabling mannequin controller using Lua script
- Automatically live reload skin files in Editor
- Define Cloud Canvas resource manager resource groups using gems
- New sample level illustration motion controller setup/scripting for VR
- New preview mode in editor for previewing canvas at different resolutions
- UI Canvas now support keyboard and gamepad operation
- GridMate now supports encrypted connections
- Amazon GameLift now tracks health of each server process.
- Various Improvements
- Various Fixes
More details are available in the release notes as well as on the Amazon GameDev blog .