Subscribe to GameFromScratch on YouTube Support GameFromScratch on Patreon


16. 五月 2016

 

There was a new release of the popular open source Java based LibGDX game framework today, version 1.9.3.  If you are interested in learning more about LibGDX I have done extensive tutorial series covering it available here.  This series brings a number of small changes, but by far the biggest update is on iOS compatibility, which I will get to in a moment.  First the changes:

[1.9.3]
- Switched to MobiDevelop's RoboVM fork (http://robovm.mobidevelop.com)
- Addition of Intel Multi-OS Engine backend for deploying to iOS
- Updated iOS native build scripts to iOS 9.3 and TVOS 9.2
- API Addition: GestureDetector#pinchStop() called when no longer pinching
- API Addition: Gdx.graphics.setUndecorated/setResizable API added to Graphics https://github.com/libgdx/libgdx/pull/3847
- API Addition: Gdx.graphics.getGLVersion(), grab the GL version and implementation type. https://github.com/libgdx/libgdx/pull/3788
- API Change: Lwjgl3WindowListener -> filesDropped(String[] files) adds drag'n drop support for the lwjgl3 backend
- Added isComplete() to ParticleEffect to make it easier to know when all the emitters are done, behaves the same as in the 2D API.
- API Change: renamed Lwjgl3WindowListener.windowIsClosing() to closeRequested() to better communicate its intent.
- Add IndexData.updateIndices method to increase performance when used with IndexBufferObjectSubData. 
- Added FlushablePool
- Added ShapeCache see https://github.com/libgdx/libgdx/pull/3953
- API Change: moved shape builder logic out of MeshBuilder, see: https://github.com/libgdx/libgdx/pull/3996
- API Change: Table reset now calls clearChildren, not clear.
- Fixed crashes in AndroidMusic.java when isPlaying is called. Errors are now logged only rather than crashing the app.
- Added emulation of ScreenUtils for GWT
- Improved performance of glReadPixels() on GWT. New method is 20-30 times faster
- Fixed crash on Mac when using LWJGL2, custom cursors and embedding the game in an AWT window
- Fixed getDisplayModes(Monitor monitor) returning wrong data on LWJGL2 backend
- Fixed Gdx.input.getCurrentEventTime() not being set on LWJGL3, fixes GestureDetector and flick scroll not working
- Fixed not being able to select non-latin characters in TextFields
- Bullet: added CustomActionInterface, see https://github.com/libgdx/libgdx/pull/4025
- Add window size limits option to LWJGL3 app and window configurations
 
 

Perhaps the biggest component of the 1.9.3 release is how they are handling iOS support.  As you may recall the technology they relied on for iOS support, RoboVM, recently was killed off by Microsoft.  This left the LibGDX team in a bit of a bind and they found not one, but two solutions.  The first is a new RoboVM like technology from Intel called Multi-OS Engine (Moe?) and the second is to go back and fork the last known good version of RoboVM and bring it up to date.  Both have some advantages and drawbacks that are discussed on the LibGDX blog.

GameDev News

blog comments powered by Disqus

Month List

Popular Comments

Out of memory problems
Subscribe to GameFromScratch on YouTube Support GameFromScratch on Patreon


4. July 2011

 

As is the joy of being a PC user, you are on occasion going to encounter Gremlins.  I’ve been doing this way too long and recently encountered a problem that I simply could not solve.  When rendering some video in Blender recently, I started getting out of memory errors, then my computer would crash completely.

 

I spent many days trying to figure out what the hell was going on.  After countless Google searches and the like I found absolutely no solutions and in the end, I decided to re-install completely.  Then much to my chagrin, after installing and running all the various service packs, the problems came right back again.

 

In the end, it ended up being the Broadcom Wireless Tray application that was leaking memory.  Worst part was, it never showed up in PERFMON, or Task Manager, which made debugging a nightmare.  The memory was being leaked at such a low level, none of the monitoring tools tracked it… a proverbial needle in a haystack.

 

Then I happened upon this:

 

… that’s a lot of Page Faults, and thus my first indicator.  Page Faults sadly aren’t shown in Task Manager by default and thus I overlooked this issue.  In the end, removing BCMWLTRY.exe and presto, leak is gone.

 

Totally off topic, but this problem is why I haven’t updated more here.  Hopefully just one person comes across this problem and I help them in some way, as when I googled, there was nothing.

Totally Off Topic

blog comments powered by Disqus

Month List

Popular Comments